5:30pm - 7:00pm
UBC Robson Square Theatre, Vancouver, BC
Wednesday, May 15th 2019
5:30 pm – 7:00 pm (Reception 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm)
UBC Robson Square Theatre
Gail Murphy, Vice-President Research and Innovation
Facilitator: Minelle Mahtani, Associate Professor, UBC Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice
- Heather Gainforth, Assistant Professor, School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Faculty of Health and Social Development, UBC Okanagan
- Chris McBride, Executive Director, Spinal Cord Injury BC
- Rashid Sumaila, Professor, UBC Institute for the Oceans and Fisheries
- Eric Solomon, Director of Arctic Programs, Ocean Wise
- George Belliveau, Professor, Language and Literacy Education, Faculty of Education
- Partner to be confirmed
PERFORMANCE OF UNLOAD
Featuring George Belliveau and Luke Bokenfohr (Royal Marines – ret’d), with Grant Charles. Directed by Christopher Cook. Developed and written by the UBC Research-Based Theatre Collaborative.
When an actor asks his veteran friend to help him prepare to audition for the role of a solider, they embark on a soul-searching journey to address difficult memories. Drawing on his ability to overcome challenges in and out of uniform, the veteran must guide the actor through an unspoken grief that has been haunting him for decades. Filled with emotional truth and laughter, this play brings to life research on veterans and the lived experience of civilians carrying trauma.
Helen Burt, Associate Vice-President Research and Innovation
Karine Souffez, Associate Director, Knowledge Exchange
Start your own conversation during the reception that follows the event!